Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Easy As... Pudding?

It's summer. It's hot out.

Well, OK, it's not hot out at this precise moment in the morning, but when I kick off work for the day, it's hot out.

And I'm not complaining, truly, because it's better than the chilly, damp, dreary weather that characterized the end of May. But when it gets this hot, I am disinclined to most physical activity, including cooking.

Which is a problem when you're hungry.

Of course, I find I don't eat much when it's this hot as I get queasy, but hey, you still have to eat, right?

So after picking a large salad from my garden (lettuce, spinach, borage leaves, dill, mint, radishes), I knew I needed something a little more substantial or else I would have difficulty getting to sleep over the rumbling in my tummy. And, well, logic (at least my version of it) dictates that you follow dinner (however so slight) with dessert.

Aside from the almond-ginger cookies, I didn't have anything for dessert, and I truly wanted something cold. There's no ice cream in the freezer, alas, and it would have been too much effort to walk out and get some.

BUT! I remembered that I had set out a couple of vegan dessert recipes (from the cookbook Sinfully Vegan) requiring silken tofu, which I picked up over the weekend, so I decided to combine recipes for a buckeye parfait.

First, half the contents of the box of silken tofu went into one bowl, and I blended that with powdered sugar, vanilla, and some melted vegan chocolate chips to make a luscious, rich chocolate pudding.

In another bowl, I blended the remaining tofu with more powdered sugar and vanilla, plus smooth peanut butter and a little flour to make a sort of peanut whipped cream.

(You see where I'm going here, don't you?)

I divided the pudding into my lovely rose Depression glass cups, topped each portion with the peanut whipped cream, and popped them all into the refrigerator to cool. And about an hour later, I helped myself to a thoroughly decadent (and cold) dessert that proved very satisfactory indeed.

The heat is expected to last all week, but you know, right now it doesn't really bother me, because I've got more pudding chillin' in the fridge.

It's as easy as that.

Buckeye Parfaits

Adapted from the Chocolate Lover's Pudding recipe and the peanut whipped cream portion of the Truffle Pie recipe from Sinfully Vegan... and wicked easy to make on a hot summer's night.

1 box light silken tofu
1 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c vegan chocolate chips, melted (stovetop or microwave)
1/2 c smooth peanut butter
1 T flour

Blend the tofu in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, blending. Scrape half the tofu mixture into another bowl. In the first bowl, add the melted chocolate chips and blend until smooth. In the second bowl, add peanut butter and flour and blend until smooth.

Divide chocolate mixture evenly between 4 serving cups or small bowls. Divide the peanut whipped "cream" mixture evenly to top the pudding in each serving cup. Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill at least one hour. Serve.

Makes 4 servings of lusciousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home