Monday, May 16, 2005

Tastes of Summer

I know, I'm impatient. I just got my garden planted, and I can't wait for it to get going and to get growing.

I'm ready for the fresh tastes of summer-fresh produce, what can I say? So until my garden is producing produce like mad, I guess I'll have to make the best of what I get at the market. (Which isn't easy since I'm still not wanting to cook much...)

So here's a quick peek at what I've been cooking lately in the hopes of conjuring up warmer weather:

1. Fresh guacamole: Really, can anything compare to the velvety green of a fresh avocado, mashed up with fresh garlic, a little lime juice, and, if you're lucky, some fresh cilantro? This is becoming my Saturday lunch staple, with whole wheat tortillas or pitas... yeah, a whole avocado, all to myself. Yum!

2. Indian chickpea spread: Think hummus with tomatoes, garlic, and a curry kind of kick. Fast and easy to prepare, keeps well, and is fabulous slathered on a whole wheat pita with slices of fresh cucumber on top.

3. Zucchini-feta casserole: Usually when I make this recipe, I fry small zucchini pancakes, but I was lazy on Saturday and just dumped the lot into a greased casserole dish and baked it for about half an hour. Mmmmmm... green and cheesy.

4. Lavender-rose geranium scones: Having just made more rose-scented geranium sugar, and having a rose geranium that doesn't seem to stop blooming this year, I decided to combine these two wonderful floral flavors once again in my favorite basic tender scone recipe. I added some of the rose geranium sugar with the rest of the sugar, then folded dried lavender flowers and fresh rose geranium petals into the dough. The resulting scones are delicately flavored, not too sweet, and soft and pillowy... sheer bliss. (On a side note, the rose geranium sugar was also rather pleasing as a sweetener for the strong Ethiopian coffee I brewed on Saturday... surprisingly good!)

5. Mint iced tea: Again. What can I say? It's good.

I also spent a little time browsing through my cookbook and have an idea for a Persian meal later this summer... and that thought might get me started on other menu planning and more cooking in the near future.

But for me, the lazy days of summer are now.

2 Comments:

At 5/17/2005 9:56 AM, Anonymous Tina said...

*drool*

You don't live anywhere near Ann Arbor, MI do you?

 
At 5/17/2005 10:16 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Depends on your definition of "near"... but not within hiking distance, that's for sure. :)

And yeah, I get that reaction a lot... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home