Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Guilty Pleasures

By the time I got home yesterday evening (after a rollicking good play date with my boys Beaker and Scooter), I bypassed the lawn mower, the dirty dishes on the kitchen counter, and the vacuum... and headed straight for the historical romance novel I'd been reading, with a plate of Chinese takeaway (broccoli with garlic sauce) in hand.

Ah yes, the guilty pleasures of life!

Once you hit a certain age (I won't say "grow up") and a certain level of responsibility, you realize that once in a while it's a very very good thing to be totally irresponsible and just have fun. Chores? Bah... who needs them? Ice cream for breakfast? Why not?

Among my other guilty pleasures (true confession time!):

--espresso truffles
--a little extra sweet butter on a warm croissant
--licking the last cookie dough out of the bowl
--licking the last melted butter out of the popcorn bowl
--real whipped cream
--liqueur-soaked strawberries in the aforementioned real whipped cream
--chocolate chips straight out of the bag
--coffee ice cream with hot fudge sauce (well, maybe no sauce if it's for breakfast)
--ice cream in my morning coffee
--"chips" with malt vinegar
--cheese puffs (I know, I know, they're hideously orange, loaded with hydrogenated fat, etc. etc... but still...!)

I could probably go on, but it's too early in the day to torment myself with such wicked delights... I really don't need my stomach to rumble all morning.

So... what are your guilty (food!) pleasures?

5 Comments:

At 5/25/2005 12:35 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

My guilty food pleasures:

-homemade amaretto mocha ice cream
-Dark chocolate Toblerone
-Scharffenberger anything
-Cheesecake, almost any kind
-homemade Candied ginger-cardamom bars
-Homemade cookies, almost any kind
-My friend Shawn's homemade cheese
-almost anything made with good chocolate or good cheese (but NOT Chocolate Cheese, as made in Frankenmuth, MI--that stuff's just plain WRONG!)

 
At 5/25/2005 12:58 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

"homemade Candied ginger-cardamom bars"?

(One eyebrow rises.)

Oh, really now?

(Other eyebrow rises.)

Would you be interested in a trade of recipes? Because I would be AWFULLY interested in those cookies.

Ever try key lime-ginger cheesecake?

 
At 5/25/2005 3:09 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

I've never tried key lime-ginger cheesecake, but it sounds VERY tasty. I do believe a recipe trade is in order.:-) Should I post the recipe here in your comments?

 
At 5/25/2005 3:20 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Go ahead and send it by email (see profile)... the cheesecake recipe is in a Word file and more easily attached to a return email.

I am ALWAYS interested in new recipes!

 
At 5/26/2005 12:03 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Sounds good; I won't have a chance to send it today, but I'll try to send it tomorrow or this weekend.:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home