Friday, May 06, 2005

Getting Out of the Kitchen

It's been a relatively quiet week in the kitchen (aside from the delicious Chinese meal on Wednesday with the lovely Phoenix taking on the bulk of the prep work)... for the most part, I've been too lazy to cook!

So let's step outside and have a look around, shall we?

New in the garden this week: I planted new raspberry canes in the hopes of having my own bumper crop of organic (red) raspberries... if not this year, then next... for making jam, liqueur, desserts, and so on. And maybe some will even make it into the freezer!

The mint has also been springing back with a vengeance and clamoring to be used in homemade iced tea (with a squeeze of lime)... the taste of summer. And the radishes are growing quite nicely after being thinned. This variety is the French long and cylindrical sort, so I look forward to having the first few in a couple of weeks.

New around town: my favorite coffee house has finally opened its second location, up near the hospital, and though it's for takeaway only, it's really a wonderful little place. The back room is used for roasting the coffee beans, so I hope sometime to catch them in action (and the folks who own the place are also starting to sell green coffee beans for people to roast at home).

With all this bounty around me, is it any wonder I haven't stayed inside? But don't worry, I will get back to cooking eventually...

After all, the farmers' market starts in a month.

2 Comments:

At 5/06/2005 1:43 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

MMmmmmm...mint iced tea with lime--my favorite warm weather beverage!:-)

 
At 5/09/2005 6:36 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

And it's so wicked easy to make... I've only been making quart jars full of it lately as the weather has been unpredictable, but it's almost time to haul out the big pitcher and keep fresh iced tea on hand all the time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home