Sunday, May 22, 2005

C is for Cookie

Okay, so I may not be cooking a whole lot these days. But I still get the urge to bake.

And when I know that our tech guys are returning to work on Monday (though Mr. Nice Guy has been around this week), I know it's time to bake a few sacrifices to the Tech Gods.

I met our new intern a few weeks ago, shortly after he was hired, when The Gentleman took him around to meet the staff. And when we have a new tech person come on board, I have a few very important questions to ask: How well do you know Windows? What is your skill level in using databases to produce an HTML menu for CD-ROM products? How well do you interact with others who need a lot of tech-related hand-holding (not me, thank heaven)? And most important, what is your favorite kind of cookie?

A bit nonplussed by this question, our new intern confessed to a weakness for oatmeal raisin cookies. So Friday evening I pulled out my trusty oatmeal cookie recipe, whipped up a full batch, then divided the dough into two portions.

The first portion had only raisins added to the mix. Let me just state here that oatmeal raisin cookies have never been my favorite as I've never been overwhelmingly fond of raisins. But these were REALLY GOOD oatmeal raisin cookies, with just the right amount of spice and buttery goodness.

The second portion of the dough was reserved for me to unleash my gourmet creativity. I added chopped dates from California, crushed walnuts, and a handful of mini diced crystallized ginger chips. Yes, I do like my oatmeal cookies to be full of such culinary treasures. No, I didn't save any for you.

I made all the cookies extra large... just because sometimes you need the psychological comfort of a really big cookies. And they are still tender and melt-in-your-mouth good after a couple of days.

And that's good enough for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home