Monday, April 25, 2005

The Perfect Pastry

So there I was, lounging at my favorite coffee house on a snowy, blowy Sunday morning, sipping the last of my decaf coffee (as the espresso machine was on the blink, preventing me from my usual mocha madness). I'd been sitting around, writing and drinking, for over an hour and was getting ready to head back home.

And then, the most magical fragrance wafted through the entire place... a sweet smell of yeast, butter, and sugar that could only mean one thing:

Fresh croissants.

The aroma grew stronger, and though I didn't remember ever seeing croissants in their display case, I knew without a doubt that there would be fresh croissants this morning.

I checked with one of the young ladies working the early shift, and though she seemed to think the baker was working on cookies, she said she would go downstairs and check. (Cookies? I don't think so. You couldn't make me believe that what I was smelling was anything other than sweet, sweet buttery croissant goodness. I KNOW.)

Moments later, there she stood again, with a golden brown crescent, crisp flaky layers still steaming slightly, adorning a simple white plate, and she informed me that the croissants had just come out of the oven, and would I like one?

I confess, I had already eaten a large scone and did not need the added indulgence of another pastry. But I defy any one of you to stand facing a fresh, warm croissant and reject it out of hand.

Can't do it, can you?

I gladly paid for that croissant, returned to my comfortable seat, and delicately picked apart the flaky layers and savored each sweet, buttery bite as though there were nothing else in this world but me and that croissant. Though I still claim partiality to my own, I will say that this particular croissant easily ranked as one of the best I have ever eaten. (Freshness wins out every time!)

The only thing that could have made this experience absolutely perfect would have been a fresh espresso... but I'm not picky. I got a fresh croissant, and the cares of the world melted away before me.

And yes, now I am inspired to make mine... soon.

2 Comments:

At 4/26/2005 7:51 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Ooo Ooo Ooo!
Can I help!?!
Puh-lease?

 
At 4/26/2005 7:55 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Not only can you help, I fully expect it. I think you're ready for this step in baking with yeast dough.

You're gonna love it... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home