Wednesday, April 27, 2005

My Goodness!

Maybe you're too young to recognize that as part of a famous Guinness ad from the 1940s. (OK, I'm too young for it, too, but I've seen the vintage ad posters at an Irish pub.)

But really, that just sums up the thrill of the occasional foray into Ireland's most famous export (after potatoes?).

I don't often indulge in a pint, but when I do, I look for the good stuff. I'm keen on the Great Lakes brews, other microbrews I've sampled in various cities (including a rocking honey ale in Salt Lake City, of all places!), and the Blue Moon Belgian wheat ale (with a slice of orange) that the Gentleman recently had me sample. For a chilly, rainy afternoon, though, you can't beat a Guinness.

Unless, that is, you opt for the Black and Tan that was the daily special at my favorite coffee house (and bar!) yesterday.

I met the Gentleman for dinner there to celebrate his new job and to wish him a fond liquid farewell, but as I arrived early, I started with a bag of salt-and-pepper potato chips (new favorite), followed by the Black and Tan, a beautifully pulled combination of Guinness and Bass ale. Dinner itself was a simple bowl of soup and half a sandwich, as a good pub lunch... er, dinner... should be, but the pint made the evening.

The only thing missing from the experience was some foot-stompin'-good lively Irish music, but hey, I takes what I gets. (And at least My Favorite Barista was on hand for a different kind of entertainment.) Good craic all around (and if you look that up, use the second definition, of which both Phoenix and I approve heartily).

One of the other famous Guinness ads from the 1940s claims "Guinness for Strength," which may seem farfetched until you realize that beer was truly a commonplace breakfast food and regular whistle-wetter in the British Isles for centuries (until proper water sanitation made water a more pleasing option for drinking). And when you learn from the Guinness web site that not only does their brew contain protein (presumably from the roasted, malted barley), but it also contains fewer calories than a glass of orange juice... AND that doctors used to prescribe Guinness for anemia... well, why don't you have one in hand right now?

So, here's a salute to the Gentleman... top o' the Guinness to you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home