Tuesday, March 22, 2005

You Need Gingering Up!

I love British comedies, I do. And over the years I've come to understand more and more of the delightfully colorful colloquial phrases that pepper the dialogue in many of my favorite shows. But I never quite understood the phrase "he needs gingering up!" in reference to a sick character in "As Time Goes By."

Until this weekend.

That flu laid me flat out for the better part of a week (or perhaps I should say, the worse part), and all I could do was keep forcing fluids. Luckily, I consulted my herbal tea book and found a delightful remedy for the flu: ginger tea.

Now, I'm pretty keen on the herbal blend that Lipton is now producing that combines ginger with citrus and herbs. But for serious sickness control, you've got to have fresh ginger and plenty of it... peeled, sliced, and bashed up a bit. Then you add the juice of half a lemon (or in my case, half a lime), top it off with hot water, and stir in a hefty dollop of honey.

What bliss!

On occasion, I was able to switch over to my favorite Irish breakfast tea, but that ginger tea was still the best thing to ease my cough and lift my spirits. Not a whole lot else tasted good, though I ate lots of toast to get me through the rough spots. (And special thanks go out to Beaker's Mommy for making a lunch run for me on Saturday... I've never had a sandwich and chips taste so darn good!)

It will be a while before I'm back to full steam... and it will certainly be a while before I make brownies again or cook anything that would merit rapturous mention on these pages. But I will keep drinking my ginger tea to chase away the germs and the exhaustion, and I'll be back in the kitchen before you miss me too terribly much.

Don't you need gingering up, too?

2 Comments:

At 3/23/2005 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am soo glad to hear that you are feeling better, even if you aren't at 100% just yet.

And you already know this, but keep up with the fluids and wash your hands often.

Yes, just call me "Mommie Kimmie."

But take care my friend, I am sending get well soon thoughts in your direction.

 
At 3/24/2005 6:11 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ta! Yeah, this chilly, damp weather doesn't help me bounce back much, but I'm still taking it easy and drinking lots of fluids. (Hand-washing, ALWAYS.)

On the up side, though I had to run errands downtown yesterday in the rain, I enjoyed a couple kiflis at the Hungarian pastry shop and a restful dinner (veg sandwich and decaf chai) at the coffee house.

But other foods still don't have much appeal... sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home