Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Oh, the Choices!

The countdown currently stands at two weeks until the 4th Annual Chocolate Potluck.

And I haven't yet decided what to make!

You must understand, I've built up something of a reputation for myself with this annual event (originally inspired by the lovely Pixie). One year I made chocolate-espresso lava cakes with espresso whipped cream, which were decadent and luscious beyond belief. Last year I made pains au chocolat with homemade croissant dough... also a winner.

My initial thoughts for this year's potluck focused on either a cassata alla siciliana (a wonderful sponge cake interlayered with a Grand Marnier- and chocolate chip-infused cream filling and frosted with a rich mocha buttercream; fabulous to eat but always a thorny task to frost) or a selection of very chocolatey cookies and brownies. Somehow neither of those really satisfied me.

So I've been consulting with the incomparably sassy Spicyflower (a woman after my own heart in terms of attitude and culinary stylings) about potential chocolate offerings. We got onto a riff about combining chocolate and chili for something more savory... something like the holy mole! pecans I made last year, but more substantial. She found me a chocolate pasta recipe which could be turned into ravioli with a subtly spiced filling... definitely worth considering.

But I've also been pondering creating something new... inspired by others, but with my own twist. (And heaven knows I'm just the right person for that sort of twist.) Something with layers upon layers of chocolate, with little surprises that make you sit up in astonishment and then sink back, blissfully sated by the sheer voluptuousness of it. Just a thought.

So... any preferences?

7 Comments:

At 2/11/2005 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoo! Spicyflower hits the comment here section.

First of all, thanks for the mention, I can use the publicity ;)

So, layers of chocolate huh? I am sitting here pondering this, and wondering how one would do that?
I hear tale of dishes that almost "change" flavors in your mouth. Hmmm....have you come up with any ideas yet?

 
At 2/11/2005 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/11/2005 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/11/2005 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/11/2005 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/11/2005 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/11/2005 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home