Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Danger: Chocolate Ahead

It's time once again for the Annual Chocolate Potluck. And in keeping with past years when we found excellent themes for the event ("Keep America Great: Eat Chocolate!" and "Chocolate and Duct Tape: All You Really Need in Life"), we have a very timely and relevant theme this year:

"In Case of Emergency, Eat Chocolate."

Yes, in our lighthearted support (and by support I mean gentle mockery) of the Department of Homeland Security's efforts to encourage people to develop a disaster plan at home, those of us in the Dinner Club would like to amend the government's excellent suggestions for an emergency kit to include chocolate. After all, chocolate keeps well (OK, maybe not in the heat of a nuclear blast) and has known curative powers (just ask Harry Potter).

And so, to encourage the widespread use of chocolate in case of emergency, we will be sampling a number of possible emergency kit additions tomorrow evening.

I'm ready. (I am SO ready.) I've taken about four different recipes and combined them to make a dessert so deliciously dark, so decadent, that it defies adequate description. From a dark chocolate shortbread base, through layers of melted chocolate and spicy nuts, a densely rich brownie center, up to a gloriously dark chocolate sauce with more nuts and spices on top, it is laced through with cinnamon (and a hint of chili powder) and multiple kinds of chocolate (including 2 kinds of cocoa). Is it a brownie? Is it a torte? Is it legal???

I haven't decided on a name for this concoction yet, though the working title is the Extreme Chocolate Extravaganza. (I am hoping that those who sample it will be more inspired.) This dessert is not for the faint of heart! And while I would not attribute superpowers or miraculous curative abilities to it, let's just say that I'm awfully glad this chocolate dish is on our side.

In addition, I've heard that other selections for the potluck will include chocolate fondue and some delightful cookies made with Andes mints (equally effective in handling emergencies, I'm sure).

So if you're ready for some seriously dangerous chocolate, you know where to find us. And if you're coming, I have three words for you:

Bring it on!

2 Comments:

At 2/24/2005 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha, I can finally post again! And I will try not to post seven times....a-hem.

Yes, so...how did the brownies go over with the crowd??? I am absolutely dying to know :)

 
At 2/25/2005 6:29 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

They went over pretty well... though no one has been quite as appreciative (nor as wonderfully analytical!) as you. :) We must experiment together sometime... between the two of us, I think we'd come up with something that would amaze the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home