Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Let Them Eat Cake!

Pancakes, that is.

Picture it: a cold winter morning... and the first thing I realize when I come downstairs in the dark is that the room is light from the lazily drifting snowfall outside the windows. What better way to warm up before stepping out in the chill than to make some fresh whole-grain pancakes and a cup of tea?

None, I say.

Part of my family "inheritance" has been my grandfather's recipe for the best pancakes in the world. (Challenge me. I dare you.) Over the past couple of years, I have tinkered with the recipe and come up with a fabulous whole-grain version (wheat flour and wheat germ, oat bran, and brown rice flour) that is not only incredibly good for you, but it fairly floats off the plate and melts in your mouth.

So I mixed up the vegan version of that this morning (with unsweetened soy milk and flax seed replacing the egg), added a robust dose of cinnamon, and cooked a couple for my little wake-me-up. (And there's still batter left for 2-3 more.) Topped them with slivers of butter that melted right into the grain, and drizzled some of the wonderful orange syrup left over from making candied orange peel. (Ohhhhh, that stuff is gooooood.)

While the cakes were cooking, I brewed a cup of that hearty Scottish breakfast tea for a little extra boost once I got out the door.

Ahhhhhhhhh. It's hard to beat a good breakfast on a cold morning. Lately I've had good oatmeal, creamy cheese grits, cinnamon rolls, and even leftover macaroni and cheese for my morning meal. But nothing comforts and satisfies quite like homemade pancakes.

Good morning! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home