Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Please, Sir, May I Have Samosa?

The witching hour (or is that Happy Hour?) is fast approaching, so I spent another three or so hours in the kitchen yesterday afternoon/evening. (And I fully expect the appreciation for my hard work and good food to be paid out in back rubs, just so you know.)

First off, the samosas. (trumpet fanfare)

The dough was a little wet from sitting in the fridge a couple of days (because yogurt has that wonderful tendency to separate out the whey when you're not looking), but with plenty of extra flour on the counter, I managed to make most of the pieces roll out smoothly. And I discovered that for pieces of dough that small (rolled out to maybe roughly 4" circles), it really did make more sense to pull out my teeny tiny rolling pin (a whopping 6" long) to do the deed. I also discovered that making 1 1/2 times the amount of dough perfectly fit the amount of filling I usually make (which always involves too many potatoes, not that that's a bad thing, I'm just saying).

So, now I have about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen happy little browned samosas, ready to reheat tonight and serve with homemade cilantro chutney and some store-bought tamarind chutney... and some yummy Indian spiced pecans.

If I were serving that alone, you would all probably be thrilled. But that's not all! (Stop me before I turn into a late-night infomercial.)

It's been a few years since I made a spicy tofu pate (recipe from an old friend of mine), but it's just as easy to make and, I hope, just as tasty. Take a pound of tofu, mix it with some flour and wheat germ and various seasonings and sauces, bake (steamed) for half an hour, serve with veggies and crackers, and you'll probably convert a lot of people to tofu, believe it or not. It ends up very rich and savory, and if you're not careful, the next thing you know you'll have an empty dish.

I also baked a small plate of mushrooms stuffed with mushroom (naturally), onion, spinach, salt, pepper, thyme, and bread crumbs. Now I'll have you know that I really don't like mushrooms (though I will sometimes be in the mood for a good portabella sandwich), and I really don't care for stuffed mushrooms. So I am making these especially for my guests, especially a couple of people who expressed a deep and abiding love for the darn things. That just goes to show you that (A) I'm a nut and (B) I love these guys. These folks keep me going (and my computer too) at work, and you gotta love good tech folks who work harder when you give them food. I love 'em all.

So bring on the back rubs, baby. Turnabout is fair play.

2 Comments:

At 12/08/2004 7:12 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

She loves us! She really loves us!

 
At 12/08/2004 7:32 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yeah, I do. You guys rock my world. And in my little world, love is often expressed in food. Tough life, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home