Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Orange You Jealous?

Bless my Wonderful Parents, they sent me my Christmas box last week. Along with the two wrapped packages, they included two quarts of Mexican vanilla (one of the secrets of my baking) and a whole lot of citrus: lemons, navel oranges, and sweet oranges.

(It's a well-known fact that citrus fruits not only contain a lot of Vitamin C, absolutely essential for warding off winter colds, but they also make really terrific biodegradable packing material.)

This morning, along with the old standby of cinnamon-y whole grain pancakes, I had freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast. (Then I scraped out the peels and left them to dry; I see Pie in the Sky in my future!)

Yes, it's a little extra effort for that early in the morning, and it's perhaps a dangerous time for me to handle sharp knives (though I'm sure some would argue any time is a dangerous time for me and knives; but I digress). But you can't beat the smell of fresh oranges to set you on your feet on a wintry morning.

And that fresh, golden, pulpy, sweet juice tasted so very magical this morning. Not even a light snowfall and slippery walks could diminish the inner glow I felt from drinking that juice.

Some people have to have their morning coffee or tea, and I have nothing against that. I'm rather fond of both myself. But for a truly special treat, give me freshly squeezed orange juice, and I'm a happy woman.

Here's to your health!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home