Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Chili Weather

Last Saturday morning, before running off on my whirlwind weekend adventures, I made a pot of chili. Nothing fancy... just onions and garlic and celery sauteed with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, a dried chile; then with crushed tomatoes, ketchup, vegetable broth, a can of beans, and a little tamari, it simmered for about 1 1/2 hours. Didn't have time to eat any then, but tucked it away for these busy days of party preparation.

Today, with the weather turning chilly (you see the connection now) and damp, I knew it would be a good day to have a bowl of chili at home for lunch while I scurried around and laid out food and prepared more selections for tonight. I topped it with shredded cheddar cheese and had a handful of tortilla chips on the side, and once I had put enough things on the buffet table to have room to eat in the kitchen, I sat down and took a bite.

Oh.
Oh my.
Oh my, yes.

What bliss it was to sink into that bowl of savory, spicy warm goodness. Wow. Even without a recipe and not knowing how I make my chili from one time to the next, that was still pretty terrific.

I rounded out the meal with the last shortbread crumbs and a couple ginger molasses cookies (well, they couldn't all fit on the buffet!). Happy!

And you know what? When I get home in a couple of hours, the house will be fragrant with the sweet smell of mulled cider, which is simmering away in the crock pot even as I type.

Now that's living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home